Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Meet Karen...

Elyse’s Super Fabulous Guest Blogger!

Hello Incredible Shrinking Elyse Friends and Fans! My name is Karen and I am a very good friend of Elyse. I am also her Weight Watcher buddy. Elyse is swamped with homework and I looked at this as a perfect excuse to put off mine! I had my own blog once but I am terrible at keeping up with it. Maybe this will give me some motivation.

Since this is Elyse’s weight loss blog, I wanted to share my story of weight loss with you! Here is the long story shortened:

I started Weight Watchers in fall 2005 (almost 6 years ago. YIKES!). I started college a year earlier and had put on what I call the freshman 20. I had terrible eating habits and did not do a darn thing for exercise. I thought after 12 years of soccer that my metabolism would stay the same after I stopped playing. Boy was I wrong! Anyways, I am not sure I can pin point when exactly I decided to do something about my weight. I knew if I did not do something it would continue to climb. I had people talking about my weight and how much I had gained. I had even one person ask me if I was still fat! Unreal! I think the important thing about weight loss is that you do it for yourself and no one else. I did not lose weight to make anyone else happy. I lost weight because I looked in the mirror and did not feel good about myself. Weight Watchers online and I have been close friends ever since.

And now here we are 6 years later and 30 pounds down. Let’s just say I fell off the wagon a lot. Anytime my weight started to climb back up, I would run right back to weight watchers and try again. I lost weight 5 pounds at time. I would have a long period of maintaining and then I would find some motivation to go on. I have to say exercise really helped more than I ever thought. Last year, I had my brother to kick my butt into the gym. Now that I am on my own, it is tough!! I still struggle even after being on the program so long but I think I am doing better. In fact, I know I am doing better than I was 6 years ago.

I am trying to challenge myself more this time. I have 10 pounds to lose to be at my goal weight. Getting use to the new weight watchers plan was a challenge in its self. Now that I have that under control, I have come up with a short list of my things I am currently challenging myself to do:

Challenges:
1. Take the Stairs at Least Once a Day
I am interning in a hospital as a counselor and I work mainly on the tippy top floor with cancer patients. Another counselor and I decided to take the stairs one random day. Needless to say, we were both very out of breath. Sure, it’s only from floor 3 to floor 9 but holy crap that was hard! For about a week in a half now I have made it a point to take the stairs every day that I am at work. I really want to make it to the 9th floor without being out of breath.
2. Less Diet Coke, More Water
I have a strange love for Diet Coke. I usually drink two a day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. I bought a blue water bottle and I am determined to fill it up at least 3 times a day. Diet coke is yummy but water is better for me and my body.
3. FRUIT!!!!
Did you know fruit is zero points on weight watchers? For a while, I fought this idea. I thought I needed more structure. I also thought that fruit was too expensive for me. Turns out I was wrong on both accounts. I started having a half a grapefruit with my bagel or cereal in the morning and it has made a huge difference. I am not as hungry before lunch and I feel like I have more energy. Now I just need to more consistent with fruit throughout the day. I am on an apple and clementine kick right now.
4. Warrior Dash
This is the scariest one of all. Warrier Dash. It’s a 3.02 mile run and obstacle course. I should be training because I am running it with 2 hardcore runners! I have walked some the past few weeks but that will not be enough. I am also a little afraid of the obstacles. Check out the website to get an idea of what I am dealing with:
http://www.warriordash.com/ . I really need to start running on a weekly basis in order to prepare myself.
What are some challenges you can think for yourself? I also love suggestions!

Follow me on Twitter @Karen_Schmidt

Hope you all have an amazing week! I would like to say thanks to Elyse for letting me be a part of her weight loss journey. I know she has the power to be who she wants to be inside and out.

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Girls, you are both so incredibly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your journey. I'm on my own journey with weight loss and it has been a truly difficult time. Reading things like this keep the motivation going. Best of luck to you both! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to do that warrior dash, but can't find anyone to do it with me! I think it would be such a fun way to exercise.

    ReplyDelete